PaylocityOnline payroll software designed to simplify everyday payroll and HR tasks
Paylocity is a provider of cloud-based payroll and human capital management software solutions for medium-sized organizations.
When using the Paylocity connector, the first thing you will have to do is click on 'New Authentication' in the step editor:
You then need to choose whether you are using a Sandbox or Production environment and enter the Client ID, Client Secret and Public Key credentials which you should have obtained from Paylocity when requesting API access:
The examples below show one or two of the available connector operations in use.
Please see the Full Operations Reference at the end of this page for details on all available operations for this connector.
Example - Create a staged Employee
This scenario imagines that you are running a regular check with another HR service, such as BambooHR, for any new employees which will need added to Paylocity.
The complete workflow looks like this:
The main points of this workflow are:
- It runs on a Scheduled trigger to make checks to your BambooHR account on a daily/weekly/monthly etc. basis
- Uses the BambooHR Last Changed Employees operation to get data on new employees
- Uses the Loop Connector to process each of the new employees one by one
- For each employee in the loop, gets the individual details for that Employee from BambooHR, locating them by EmployeeID employee in Paylocity
- Each time the workflow is run, a Data storage connector is used to retrieve the date from the last time the workflow was run. This is retrieved at the start of the workflow (get last check date) and set at the end of the workflow (set last check date). It is necessary to do this because the BambooHR Last changed Employees operation requires a Since date to be entered so it knows when to run the check from
The steps involved are:
1 - Set the scheduled trigger
This can be set to any interval or schedule as required
2 - Get the last checked date
This is set as lastChecked and the Scope is set as 'Workflow' as it is a value which is stored between workflow runs (i.e. is not deleted after each run)
3 - Get new employee list
The Last Changed employees operation in BambooHR uses
$.steps.storage-1.value in the Since field and checks only for employees of Type 'Inserted' (new)
4 - Loop through the employees
The Loop thru employees operation uses
$.steps.bamboohr-1.results to get each employee to loop through
5 - Get individual employee details
The Get Employee operation uses
$.steps.loop-1.value.id to get the id and find them in BambooHR using the Get Employee by ID operation.
6 - Add the employee to Paylocity
You can now use the Paylocity Create Employee (or Create Staged Employee) operation, and pull in the employee data from BambooHR using jsonpaths such as
7 - Set the last checked date
For the next time the workflow is run set the lastChecked value using the jsonpath
$.steps.trigger.utc_datetime_data.datetime to get the current date from the scehduled trigger. Remember that the Scope is set as 'Workflow'.
Important note on implementation
Note that the above example is quite simplified. In a production scenario it is likely that you will want to carry out other actions such as:
- create a custom Paylocity ID field in BambooHR (or whatever service you are using)
- run a boolean check to see if that employee already exists in Paylocity
It is also possible that you could be using a webhook as the trigger for your workflow - where an action in one service automatically starts your workflow and sends relevant data for processing. In this case ou would not need to set up a scheduled trigger to periodically check for updates.